“A sponsor is a person in the fellowship who acts as a guide to working the program of SAA – a fellow addict we can rely upon for support. Ideally, a sponsor is abstinent from addictive sexual behavior, has worked the steps, and can teach us what he or she has learned from working the program. We can learn from a sponsor’s experience, struggles, successes, and mistakes. […] Most importantly, sponsors guide us through the Twelve Steps.” SAA Green Book p. 13
Readings for finding, and being, a sponsor
- Getting a Sponsor pamphlet
- A Special Welcome to the Woman Newcomer pamphlet includes a section on finding a sponsor
- SAA Booklet: Tools of Recovery contains a section on Sponsorship
- Our Fellowship, Chapter Two, p13-14 in SAA Green Book
- “A Phone Call Saved Her Life,” Story 2, p114 SAA Green Book
The literature is free online and can be bought from in-person meetings, and online SAA shops eg United States, Australia, UK.
Lists of sponsors
Lists of people willing to sponsor women Sponsor Lists
The Grace list contains names of those who can sponsor, email firstname.lastname@example.org
LGBT sponsors, email email@example.com
Your local Intergroup may be able to help you find a sponsor.
The SAA Green Book says, “It is recommended that we don’t enter into a sponsorship relationship with anyone we are attracted to sexually …”. For some women this means not outreaching or being sponsored by straight men until they are stronger in their sobriety.
“Dear Grace” articles on sponsorship:
- Why We Need Sponsors, page 6, Outer Circle, November – December 2019
- Do I Have to Listen to My Sponsor?, page 12, Outer Circle July – August 2015
- Finding, Asking for Sponsorship is Key to Sobriety, page 12, Outer Circle for May – June 2015
- Are Sponsors Always Right?, page 12, Outer Circle March- April 2015
Sponsors helping sponsors meeting
Sponsors Helping Sponsors is a weekly discussion group and meeting for those who are, or hope to be, a sponsor.
This meeting records discussions and there is a library of over 70 recorded “Sponsors Helping Sponsors” discussions.
Sponsors Helping Sponsors [SHS] is a 1-hour meeting and discussion group: Thursdays 11 a.m. US ETC.
SHS has […] a list (and links) covering over 20 months of our weekly audio recordings made during the “Sponsors Helping Sponsors” SAA Zoom meeting held every Thursday morning. These recordings are available [to members, and] are also listed on our meeting page on saatalk.info. [An] updated list via email of the recordings each month is also availableFrom Sponsors Helping Sponsors announcement, August 2021